10 BEST Kubernetes monitoring tools
Kubernetes is a production-ready, open source platform designed with Google’s accumulated experience in container orchestration, combined with best-of-breed ideas from the community. It is designed to automate deploying, scaling, and operating application containers.
With the increasing adoption of containers and microservices in the enterprises, monitoring utilities have to handle more services and server instances than ever before. Although infrastructure landscape has changed, operations teams still need to monitor the same metrics on CPU,RAM, File System, Network utilization, and the availability of service endpoints.In this post,we take look at some of the best monitoring tools available for Kubernetes.
Datadog allows you to collect metrics, events, and service states from Kubernetes service in real time. You can then, visualize and correlate the data with beautiful graphs, and set flexible alerting conditions without running any storage or monitoring infrastructure yourself.
Key Features :
- Datadog seamlessly aggregates metrics and events across the full devops stack
- Ability to monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize application performance
- Option to search, filter, and analyze logs for troubleshooting
- Datadog offers real time dashboards, high-resolution metrics and events for manipulation and graphing
- Datadog alerts on any metric, for a single host or for an entire cluster.Get notifications via e-mail, PagerDuty, Slack, and other channels
- Datadog includes full API access to bring observability to all your apps and infrastructure
Check out Datadog’s Kubernetes documentation
Download & Install from here.Datadog agent will discover automatically.
Sumo Logic App for Kubernetes allows you to monitor Kubernetes deployments. Preconfigured dashboards present resource-related metrics at the Kubernetes pod, cluster, and namespace level; and provide operational insight into Kubernetes components, including nodes, the API Server, the Controller Manager, the Kube System, and the Scheduler.
- Assess the health of Kubernetes-built applications and manage the environment from a simple GUI interface.
- Full stack visibility into applications, including Kubernetes container orchestration.
- App installs instantly as a stand-alone tool in a datacenter or as part of cloud architecture and integrates with Sumo Logic apps for all major cloud hosting platforms, including AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure.
New Relic Infrastructure on-host integration for Kubernetes, provides deep monitoring of the container orchestration layer. It collects metrics that monitor data and metadata for nodes, Namespaces, Deployments, ReplicaSets, Pods, and containers, so you can fully monitor your frontend and backend applications and hosts running in your Kubernetes clusters.
- Comprehensive view of the health of your servers and hosts as well as the applications and services
- Cloud ready out-of-the-box integrations let you view and report data from various services
- Detailed views of the processes running within containers and track container versions.
- Full visibility into how your host is performing, sorted by the host traits you care about. Infrastructure collects and displays health metrics such as CPU, Load, Memory, etc. at the host level, as well as individual Process, Network and Storage level.
- Tag-driven alerting and dashboarding
- Powerful search allows you to find vulnerable packages and other inventory items
To activate on-host integration,deploy the
newrelic-infra agent onto a Kubernetes cluster from here.
Check out documentation on Kubernetes integration here.
Be it traditional or microservice-based applications running on Kubernetes. AppDynamics for Kubernetes offers unified solution to deliver flawless application experiences.
- Visibility into Kubernetes by leveraging labels like Namespace, Pods, ReplicaSets, Deployment, or any other Kubernetes label. Organize, group, query, or filter Kubernetes objects or performance metrics based on labels
- Consistent visibility into Kubernetes clusters deployed across on-premises or hybrid environments
- Quickly triage the root cause via stack-ranked order of potential root causes
- Isolate the performance issues in different environments and their impact on business in real time.
To install AppDynamics for Kubernetes visibility follow these steps :
- Install a Standalone Machine Agent in a Kubernetes node.
- Install an APM Agent inside each container in a pod that needs to be monitored.
- The Standalone Machine Agent then collects hardware metrics for each monitored container, as well as Machine and Server metrics for the host, and forwards the metrics to the Controller.
Note deploy the Standalone Machine Agent in Docker-enabled mode.
Linkerd is a service sidecar and service mesh for Kubernetes and other frameworks. It gives you runtime debugging, observability, reliability, and security–all without requiring any changes to your code.
Linkerd has three basic components: User interface, data plane, and a control plane. Linkerd works by installing ultralight proxies into each pod of a service. These proxies become part of a data plane which reports telemetry data to, and receives signals from, a control plane.
- Automatically instruments metrics such as request volume, success rates, and latency distributions.
- Provides real time streams of the requests for all incoming and outgoing traffic.
- Linkerd proxy natively exports Prometheus metrics.
Linkerd control plane must be installed first and then add the data plane proxies for respective services.Checkout Documentation for more details on how to install/configure for Kubernetes.
Check out detailed article on Linkerd Service Mesh on why do we need it and more here.
Turbonomic uses patented analysis engine to provide visibility and control across the entire stack in order to assure the performance of running micro-services in Kubernetes Pods, as well as the efficiency of underlying infrastructure.
- Provides Rescheduler capability (continuous placement for Pods)
- Continuous scaling for applications and the underlying cluster.
- Full-Stack Visibility from on-prem DataCenter to major public cloud providers.
- Combining real-time performance monitoring and analysis engine, Turbonomic is able to provide right-sizing information for each individual pod as well as the entire IT stack.
Replex gives you complete picture of your container environment no matter whether private/public cloud or physical infrastructure.It includes following
- Discover workload distributions
- Analyze container efficiencies
- Identify where your applications are running in real time
- Deep insights into containers and orchestrators
- Container workload analyses
- Full insights into cost distributions of applications and teams
- Optimization of container environments
- Complete governance control
- Customizable reporting options
With Instana, you can automatically detect the containers running in the service and the platforms running on the containers, deploying additional sensors to gather performance metrics of the full application stack.
- Automatic discovery and monitoring of all infrastructure components ensures full stack accuracy at all times
- Automatic deployment and upgrade of infrastructure monitoring sensors
- Automatic tag and label correlation enriches the monitoring data making it easier
- Automatically identify root cause at any layer of your technology stack.
Do check out Container monitoring documentation for details on how to view real-time insights into metadata, configuration, metrics etc.,
Dynatrace provides full monitoring insights into the hosts and applications you deploy with Kubernetes. This includes
- Automatic detection of dependencies between containerized applications
- Root-cause analysis and the ability to replay problems to see how they evolved over time
- Application availability and performance monitoring
- Automatically discovers all containers running on Kubernetes
- Real-time view of all the connections between containerized processes, hosts, and cloud instances.
- Identifies related containers and automatically visualizes all dependencies throughout your entire application environment.
- Identification of performance hotspots.
- Analysis of database-query execution frequencies and response times.
Checkout Dynatrace OneAgent Operator for Kubernetes full-stack monitoring.
Weave Scope is a visualization, and monitoring tool for Docker and Kubernetes.For Microservices-based architecture,Weave scope would be useful in visualizing network bottlenecks, troubleshooting CPU consumption and troubleshooting memory leaks.It provides a top down view into your app as well as your entire infrastructure, and allows you to diagnose any problems with your distributed containerized app, in real time, as it being deployed to a cloud provider.
- Drill down Views: For an app which is running in Kubernetes, Scope displays Pods, Replica Sets, Deployments, and related Services on clusters.So for containerized microservices running in the cloud,you can view Processes, Containers, Orchestrators, and Hosts.
- Real time Contextual metrics : By clicking on a node you can get detailed panel with additional metrics on the node.From the detailed panel,you can drilldown on processes inside your container to the hosts that your containers run on.
- Troubleshoot / Manage Containers : On clicking of a container, pod or host, you can view the controls pane from there you can pause, restart, stop and delete without having to leave the Scope browser window.If further troubleshooting is required, terminal windows can be launched from any container or host so that you can interact with your app and run any UNIX command to diagnose issues.
- Search : Weave supports simple operands so that for example, you can find processes consuming a certain amount memory or nodes using too much CPU.
- Filtering options : Nodes can be filtered by CPU and Memory usage so that you can easily find containers using the most resources.If you are running an app in Kubernetes then your app can be filtered by namespace and by container state whether running or stopped or contained and uncontained.
- Graphic / Table Mode : Views can be presented in Graphic as well as Table Mode.Graphical mode is more useful in cases where you want to have a quick visual overview of your app.Table mode is for viewing data like resources being consumed by processes, containers, and hosts etc.,
To install/configure Weave Scope,check out here.
Pick the right solution – key capabilities to watch out for
- Aggregate metrics, events and labels from Kubernetes
- Support for any deployment style (Local, hosted, or hybrid) and ability to collect and report following Host / Container metrics
- Resource utilization (for each container can consume)
- CPU Usage
- Node CPU capacity
- Memory Usage
- Node Memory capacity
- Filesystem Usage
- Disk I/O (per node)
- Network Throughput
- Resource utilization (for each container can consume)
- Application metrics – Support to monitor applications running on Kubernetes
I hope this listing of 10 BEST monitoring tools would help you to choose the best monitoring solution for Kubernetes environment.Also If I have missed out anything,do let me know.
Like this post? Don’t forget to share it!