Spinnaker is an open source, multi-cloud continuous delivery platform that helps you release software changes with high velocity and confidence.Compared to other CI/CD platforms, Spinnaker offers cluster management and deployment management as its core set of features.
Update – 23/07/19: Spinnaker for Google Cloud Platform solution has been announced that lets you install Spinnaker in Google Cloud Platform (GCP) with a couple of clicks, and start creating pipelines for continuous delivery.With Spinnaker on GCP,it comes built-in with deployment best practices that can be leveraged whether teams’ resources (source code, artifacts, other build dependencies) are on-premises or in the cloud.
Spinnaker for GCP integrates Spinnaker with other Google Cloud services, allowing you to extend your CI/CD pipeline and integrate security and compliance in the process.
- Cluster Management : Spinnaker’s cluster management features allows us to view and manage your resources in the cloud.
- Deployment management: Allows us to construct and manage continuous delivery workflows. Pipeline consists sequence of actions, known as stages. You can pass parameters from stage to stage along the pipeline. You can start a pipeline manually, or you can configure it to be started by automatic triggering events, such as a Jenkins job completing, a new Docker image appearing in your registry, a CRON schedule, or a stage in another pipeline. You can configure the pipeline to emit notifications to interested parties at various points during pipeline execution (such as on pipeline start/complete/fail), by email, SMS or HipChat.
- Spinnaker’s cloud-native deployment strategies allows handling the underlying orchestration such as verifying health checks, disabling old server groups and enabling new server groups. Spinnaker supports the red/black (a.k.a. blue/green) strategy, with rolling red/black and canary strategies in active development.
- Install, configure, and update your Spinnaker instance with halyard, Spinnaker’s CLI tool.
- Support for deployment across multiple cloud providers including AWS EC2, Kubernetes, Google Compute Engine, Google Kubernetes Engine, Google App Engine, Microsoft Azure, and Openstack, with Oracle Bare Metal and DC/OS coming soon.
- Create and deploy immutable images for faster rollouts, easier rollbacks, and the elimination of hard to debug configuration drift issues.
- Leverage an immutable infrastructure in the cloud with built-in deployment strategies such as red/black and canary deployments.
- Tie your releases to monitoring services Datadog, Prometheus, or Stackdriver, using their metrics for canary analysis.
Like this post? Don’t forget to share it!