Kubernetes coordinates a highly available cluster of computers that are connected to work as a single unit. The abstractions in Kubernetes allow you to deploy containerized applications to a cluster without tying them specifically to individual machines.
The effort required to set up a single node cluster is different from running a customized multi-node/zone/multi-cloud HA cluster. When your enterprise is ready to scale up to more machines and higher availability in a short span, Managed Kubernetes platforms is the right choice to create and maintain enterprise clusters.
Here are some of the key advantages of going in for Managed Platforms:
- Automated Kubernetes version upgrades and patching
- Easy cluster scaling
- Self-healing hosted control plane (masters)
- Experts take care of ongoing operations management and support for the entire technology stack
- Manage and support the containers, cluster application services such as monitoring, logging, security, etc.,
- Multi-cloud portability
- Cost savings – pay only for running agent pool nodes
With this context now, let us check out a comparison of TOP 3 Managed Kubernetes Platforms.
Managed Kubernetes Platforms Comparison: GKE vs AKS vs EKS
|Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)||Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)||Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes (EKS)|
|Auto Upgrades of Master/Nodes to Kubernetes Versions||Both Automatic/Manual Upgrades are possible||Both Automatic/Manual Upgrades are possible||Not Clear|
|Auto Scale||Yes, Cluster autoscaler||Yes, Cluster autoscaler||Yes, Cluster autoscaler|
|Auto Repair||Yes||Not Available||Yes|
|Security & Compliance||HIPAA and PCI DSS 3.1 compliant.||SOC, ISO, and PCI DSS||Not Available|
|Private Container Registry||Yes||Yes, Azure Container Registry support||Yes, Docker registry|
|Multi – Region/Zone Deployment||Yes||Partial||Partial|
|Integrated Logging & Monitoring||Yes, Stackdriver||Yes, Azure Log Analytics+ Azure Monitor||Yes, AWS CloudTrail|
|Docker Image Support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Like this post? Don’t forget to share it!
Additional Resources :
- What are the key Kubernetes metrics that you have to monitor ?
- Get smallest, fastest, fully-conformant MicroK8s Kubernetes
- How to back up and restore your Kubernetes cluster resources and persistent volumes?
- Implementing Policies in Kubernetes
- Kubernetes tutorial – Create simple cluster & Deploy app
- Kubernetes tutorial – Scale & perform updates to your app
- Kubernetes tutorial – Create deployments using YAML file