Kong is a open source gateway (or a API Gateway/Microservices Abstraction Layer) for microservices requests while providing load balancing, logging, authentication, rate-limiting, transformations, and more through plugins.
Kong can be deployed in a variety of configurations, as an edge API gateway or an internal API proxy. OpenResty, through its Nginx modules, provides a strong and performant foundation, with Lua plugins for extensions. Kong can either use PostgreSQL for single region deployments or Cassandra for multiregion configurations.
Kong’s high performance, its API-first approach (which enables automation of its configuration) and its ease of deployment as a container makes it right fit for any project be it web, mobile or IoT (Internet of Things) etc.,
Key Features :
- Cloud-Native: Platform agnostic, Kong can run from bare metal to Kubernetes.
- Dynamic Load Balancing: Load balance traffic across multiple upstream services.
- Circuit-Breaker: Intelligent tracking of unhealthy upstream services.
- Health Checks: Active and passive monitoring of your upstream services.
- Service Discovery: Resolve SRV records in third-party DNS resolvers like Consul.
- Serverless: Invoke and secure AWS Lambda or OpenWhisk functions directly from Kong.
- OAuth2.0: Easily add OAuth2.0 authentication to your APIs.
- REST API: Kong can be operated with its RESTful API for maximum flexibility.
- Geo-Replicated: Configs are always up-to-date across different regions.
- Failure Detection & Recovery: Kong is unaffected if one of your Cassandra nodes goes down.
- Clustering: All Kong nodes auto-join the cluster keeping their config updated across nodes.
- Scalability: Distributed by nature, Kong scales horizontally by simply adding nodes.
- Performance: Kong handles load with ease by scaling and using NGINX at the core.
Kong is open-source project and widely used in production at companies ranging from startups to Global 5000.
For large organizations,check out here Kong Enterprise.Kong is sponsored by Mashape, who also provide an enterprise offering integrating Kong with their proprietary API analytics and developer portal tools.
Like this post? Don’t forget to share it!